fbpx

Can foreigners own property in Thailand 2020

Can foreigners own property in Thailand
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Share on email

Can foreigners own property in Thailand?

Yes – at least, that’s the short answer.

Lots of foreign investors look to Thailand as a great place to buy property – especially on the popular island of Phuket – but there’s a little more to it than a simple yes or no answer. 

We find that lots of buyers are confused by what legal rights they have about owning certain types of property, should that be buying a villa, house, condo, apartment, hotel or piece of land. 

Don’t be troubled, though. It isn’t as complex as it first seems – and we are here to explain it in the simplest ways that we can. 

So read on and let’s discuss in more details about buying property in Thailand as a foreigner. 

If you are currently thinking of buying property in Phuket, and want some quick answers to your questions then feel free to reach out to us today.

Can Foreigners Own Property in Thailand Explained

There are several aspects to this question that need to be addressed individually. While yes, buying property in Thailand as a foreigner is most certainly possible and hundreds of foreigners do this each year, there are certain things buyers need to understand before starting their search.

Buying Property in Thailand: The Types of Ownership

Before we can properly answer can foreigners own property in Thailand we need to understand the types of property ownership. The way you buy or sell a house or property in Thailand may not be the same as it is in your home country. The following passages will describe the types of property ownership in Thailand.

Freehold Ownership

What is freehold ownership and can foreigners own property in this way?

Freehold ownership allows a person or entity to own a property outright. In this case you hold the title deeds for the property but these deeds come in different forms depending on the type of property. For example you might hold the certificate of ownership (Thor Or 5) which proves you own a structure (building, house, villa), a title deed to a condominium unit known as a Chor 2 or freehold ownership on a piece of land called a Chanote Title.

In Thailand foreigners are not permitted to own land freehold however a foreigner can own a condominium unit freehold. This is more commonly known as ‘foreign freehold’ ownership and is particularly popular with foreigners looking to buy real estate in Thailand. We will discuss buying a condo in Phuket in more detail later.

Leasehold Ownership

What is leasehold ownership and can foreigners own property in this way?

Leasehold ownership allows foreigners to have rights over a property for a set period of time. The longest lease that can be legally registered is for a period of 30 years. However it is worth mentioning here that lease contracts can have further renewals written in allowing for additional 30 years periods to be granted by the lessor.

Leasehold ownership is very common for those buying property in Thailand as a foreigner if they want to own a villa. This is because it’s the most straightforward way to have legal rights over the land the villa is built on.

Can Foreigners Buy Property in Thailand Part 2: The Types of Property

Just as there are different types of property ownership in Thailand, there are also different types of property that foreigners can buy in Thailand. In the following sections we will go into the most popular types of property in more detail.

Buying a Condo

The laws for buying property in Thailand as a foreigner are heavily tilted in the favour of buying a condominium. This is because Thailand passed the Condominium Act in 1979, and allows foreigners to own condo units freehold. However the ownership of all foreigners in one condominium can not exceed 49% share of the total sellable area of all the units in that one building. As we mentioned before this type of ownership is called ‘Foreign Freehold’. 

In the case that a foreigner wishes to buy a condo unit in a building that has already reached the foreign freehold ownership quota of 49% then the foreigner may buy the unit under leasehold ownership. 

How about apartments and is this just a different name for a condominium? Apartment buildings and condominium buildings in Thailand are not classed the same and are registered differently at the Land Department Office. This means the only form of ownership available on an apartment unit is through a long term lease (leasehold) and this also applies to Thai Nationals. 

So to summarize, condos are particularly attractive to those curious enough to search “can foreigners buy real estate in Thailand”. Why? Because of the ability to have “foreign freehold” ownership that only comes exclusively to condos. 

Buying a House or Villa

Many foreigners dream about owning their own villa especially in such a location as Phuket due to its great weather and the relaxed way of life. So can foreigners actually own houses in Thailand? The answer is not totally straight forward and needs some explanation but yes many foreigners are buying houses for lifestyle and investment reasons. 

Basically the issue is that foreigners are not allowed to own the land the property is built on. So this means foreigners mostly buy under leasehold terms. Many developers will sell new homes with long term leases of 30 years with built-in renewals of up to 90 years. Meaning 30 years + 30 years + 30 years. 

Additionally foreigners are permitted to own a structure (building) so it may be the case that the developer will allow the foreigner freehold ownership of the building and leasehold ownership of the land to provide further security for the foreigner. However not all developments are structured in the same way and it still may be the case that the ownership of the villa and land is sold under leasehold ownership.

If you choose to sell your home after buying a villa in Phuket, you should always make sure the lease can be transferred to the new buyer. This is a normal clause written into leasehold agreements and permissible under Thai law.

Buying Land

Can foreigners buy land in Thailand? As we have mentioned several times foreigners can not own land freehold in their own name. The options available are a long term lease with added renewals, or another option is freehold ownership through a ‘Thai Company’ if you are able to do so, meaning you have a Thai partner or partners. In the case of using a Thai Company the land remains under Thai ownership but the foreigner becomes a director who has control over that company. However this type of ownership needs some consideration and should always be discussed with a competent Thai lawyer or law firm.

Rounding Up

Can foreigners own property in Thailand? Yes! We think we answered it fairly well. However if you need more information then head over to our FAQ page that contains the most popular questions about owning and buying property in Phuket and keep up to date with our latest blog posts, where we will be exploring each stage of the property purchasing process in more detail. Don’t forget to reach out to the team here at Select 1 Property, if you have any questions in the meantime.


FAQ – Can foreigners own property in Thailand

Can a foreigner buy a house in Thailand?

Yes – a foreigner can buy and own a house (building structure) freehold in Thailand. The land however must be owned under a long term lease.

Can a foreigner buy a villa in Thailand?

Yes – a foreigner can buy and own a villa (building structure) freehold in Thailand. The land however must be owned under a long term lease.

Can a foreigner buy a condo in Thailand?

Yes – a foreigner can buy a condo in Thailand. Ownership can be either freehold title or long term lease (leasehold). Freehold ownership of a condo unit must be within the set foreign ownership quota of a condominium building. By law, foreigners can own up to 49% of the total saleable area of a condominium building. The remaining 51% must be sold under leasehold title.

Can foreigners own land in Thailand?

A foreigner who wishes to acquire land and build a house, must obtain a long term lease on the land.

Alternatively it is possible for a foreigner to own land in Thailand in the name of Thai company (at least 51% of the shares must be Thai and the remaining 49% are foreign).

Can foreigners lease land in Thailand?

Yes – a foreigner can acquire a long term lease on a piece of land in Thailand. Currently the maximum registrable lease is 30 years each term.

Join The Discussion

- More Articles -

Like our content, we can send directly to your inbox!

Compare listings

Compare
Search

do you need help finding a property?

Leave your details and we'll send you suitable options.

Subscribe today to keep informed of the latest properties for sale, promotions, and presale developments.